Piotr Zieliński did not lead the Poles to victory in the match against Moldova at PGE Narodowy. After the match, the captain of the Polish national team summarized the course of the match, but also revealed whether he believed in direct promotion to the European Championships.
The Polish national team significantly complicated its chances of directly qualifying for Euro 2024. The White and Reds only drew 1-1 with Moldova, and the only goal for our team was scored by Karol Świderski. Piotr Zieliński summarized the course of the match.
Piotr Zieliński pointed out the reason for the draw with Moldova
The new number 10 of the Polish national team was not satisfied with what the team showed in the match against Moldova. He didn’t try to excuse his mistakes, but pointed out what contributed to the lack of victory.
– The beginning of the match was very poor. We allowed ourselves to be pushed away by Moldova, which comes to our stadium with 50,000 crowds. people and we couldn’t cope with it. We didn’t play much passing, we didn’t have much creativity, we were too nervous, we got a goal and then woke up after it. We created several dangerous situations in the first half. We started well in the second half and managed to score a goal relatively quickly, but then the final pass and finishing went wrong and we drew.
“We were able to create action”
Michał Probierz placed Piotr Zieliński slightly deeper than it was in the match against the Faroe Islands. – This position means that there are more defensive tasks. I know her, she’s midfield, so I don’t have a problem with her. We can definitely show more, noted the Polish representative.
At the beginning of the match against Moldova, the Poles looked weak against the background of their rushing opponents. According to the SSC Napoli midfielder, the team showed that despite difficult conditions, they can get out of trouble and return to better play.
– It looked like we were stressed. I don’t know what caused it and that’s how it looks now. These are the feelings. The match lasts 90 minutes, even with added time, and even though you lose a goal, you still have a lot of time to get back to the right conditions in this match. Even though the start was poor, we were able to come back and create some action, he added.
“Something’s not right”
Piotr Zieliński is not sure whether he will be able to win direct promotion. They realize that they have to show their better side in front of their home audience.
– I would like to believe, but will it happen? Albania already helped us once a few days ago, but we have to wait. We have a month, but first we have to beat the Czechs. Even Moldova can advance because they collected four points against us. Looking at the clubs, level and competitions we play in, there is something wrong. With all due respect to the opponent, because they can play football, but they come to us and give us difficult conditions, so it can’t be like that. We are a strong team, we play at home in front of our fans and they expect more from us, said the 29-year-old.
“After the draw, we thought it would be easy.”
Immediately after the qualifying groups were drawn, both Polish representatives and fans claimed that it would not be difficult to advance. The reality turned out to be completely different and now the White and Reds must win against the Czechs and count on a good result in the remaining matches.
– These qualifying rounds are very difficult. I don’t know what to say. We win two matches against the Faroe Islands and once against Albania. After the draw, we thought it wouldn’t be that difficult and promotion would be easy. Now we should have qualified for the Euro, but at the moment we are not doing well. This is the period we are in and we have to get over it. We have to show that we can overcome difficult situations. If we advance from the play-offs, then it could be a great Euro. This is what it looks like, emphasized Piotr Zieliński
“I believe in this team, in the coach, and the coach believes in us”
Since Michał Probierz’s arrival as coach of the Polish national team, there has been a lot of talk about the freshness he should bring to the team’s game. Piotr Zieliński noticed the changes, but noted that the coach had too little time to prepare the team and focused primarily on regeneration training. Despite everything, he believes that they will soon reach a higher level.
– A new coach has arrived, there is definitely a new breath of freshness and it can be felt. The coach has a vision for this team, so he needs to be given time. There are a few days and it won’t do anything big to us. Previous training sessions were more regenerative and we managed to win on the islands, but here it looked different, not as we wanted. I believe in this team, in the coach, and the coach believes in us. We must look at this national team with optimism. The boys can play football, it’s just a matter of pasting and arranging them. I think we will give a lot of joy – concluded Piotr Zieliński.