Oleica fudge in Poland. Is her bite dangerous?

Oleica fudge in Poland.  Is her bite dangerous?

Oleica fudge is an inconspicuous cockchafer. Don’t let her cute appearance fool you though. An encounter with an insect can have unpleasant consequences.

Oleica fudge is distinguished by its unusual appearance and size. The length of her body can reach up to 35 millimeters. It has a bulbous abdomen with a dark blue, blue-black or black color and a metallic sheen. Females are much larger than males. The hallmark of males is “broken” feelers. Female beetles lay up to ten thousand eggs. The insect occurs mainly in sunny glades and meadows. It lives mainly in the grass.

Oleica fudge – bite

Oleica fudge owes its name not only to its size, but also to the defense mechanisms it produces. When a beetle feels threatened, it releases an oily substance. The liquid has cantharidin in its composition. It is a highly poisonous compound, one of the most dangerous toxins found in nature. Interestingly, in the past it was used as an aphrodisiac. The question arises whether the venom of the dandelion cow poses a threat to human health or life? The amount of cantharidin in the secretion produced by the cockchafer is fortunately too small to kill (lethal dose is about 0.3 g), but enough to cause many unpleasant symptoms. The toxin causes local inflammation.

You may notice redness at the site of the oleic fudge bite. Painful wheals and blisters also appear. Be careful not to get the venom of cow oleic into the eyes, nose or throat. Otherwise, it can strongly irritate the mucous membranes and digestive tract, as well as lead to conjunctivitis.

How to minimize the risk of being bitten?

One of the most effective ways to protect yourself from cow oleic venom is to be careful. Be careful not to stumble upon a cockchafer while walking in a meadow or clearing. If he doesn’t feel threatened, he won’t attack. What should I do if I am bitten by an oleic cow? Wash the affected area with water. You can also apply a cold compress to it. If an insect is accidentally swallowed, do not induce vomiting. You must immediately call an ambulance (call 999 or 112).

Source: State Forests

Similar Posts