Freezing energy prices is currently one of the biggest political challenges. The 2024 budget does not provide any funds for this, but calculations show that it is almost necessary.
The project of Mateusz Morawiecki’s government, which assumed another freezing of energy prices for the entire year, failed. In its place, a parliamentary bill of the Sejm majority is voted on. Interestingly, no funding has been secured for any of them in the 2024 budget.
Freezing energy prices. What’s next?
After rejecting the government bill, the Sejm dealt with the parliamentary bill submitted by the parliamentary majority. This is the same project that caused controversy when it turned out that it included a “instrument” in the form of regulating wind turbines.
– There is a project of the democratic opposition. I am glad that he is dealing with what is most important now, i.e. freezing energy prices. This is the wisdom of the future ruling coalition, which was able to admit its mistake, say that this law should be changed and withdraw those provisions that do not have to be, but may be, controversial – said Katarzyna Kotula from the New Left.
– Energy prices will be frozen. PiS did not provide any mechanism for freezing energy prices in the budget bill it sent to the Sejm. He assumed that if he gave up power, these prices would explode – added MP Paweł Zalewski from Poland 2050.
– Without freezing energy prices, they may increase for households by 76% next year. when it comes to electricity and 48 percent for gas. This is absolutely unbearable. It’s good that this project was voted on by the democratic parties today, because it assumes that these prices will not increase – added the Polish 2050 MP.
The Minister of Climate and Environment in the new government of Mateusz Morawiecki has a different opinion about the movements in the Sejm. Anna Łukaszewska-Trzeciakowska talked about it on TVP Info.
– This causes anxiety in Polish homes. After the holidays, we will not know what bills will arrive in the mail. We should assure Poles that they will be able to calmly plan their expenses throughout the year. I keep appealing (to the Sejm majority – editor’s note): Rewrite the rest of our bill – said the Minister of Climate and Environment, Anna Łukaszewska-Trzeciakowska, in Guest News on TVP Info.
– Our opposition has decided that, unlike in the rest of Europe, our small entrepreneurs will face the increase in energy prices on their own. I don’t understand it – she added. – This is a very bad solution, companies have been left in great uncertainty. Unfortunately, I see a determination to deny even good, proven solutions – said the minister.