Since November 2014, ORLA.fm no longer streams live. We now offer podcasts which you can listen to when you like and as often as you like. You can get more information about our expanding library of shows and archives by signing up today free to our newsletter from the home page. It’s called the Listening Post. It will arrive in your inbox only when we have uploaded new content.
You can download the shows, normally offered in crisp quality 96Kbps, to your PC, tablet or smartphone. This means you can even listen when you are not connected to the Internet. If you prefer, you may also “stream” the podcasts when you are online if you don’t want to take up space on your memory hard disk. And don’t forget we are on iTunes too so you can subscribe to us on there too, and you don’t need an iPhone to do so.
ORLA.fm offers two channels. ORLA Now and ORLA Classic.
ORLA Now is where you will find all the latest news from the Polish community and special interest episodes. These will be available for 12 weeks after which time they are retired to ORLA Classic.
ORLA Classic is where you find our archives, permanently available for you to enjoy! So it is a building library. Not only will you find ORLA Now items older than three months here, but also we will be adding old ORLA content too in the months ahead. If you sign up for our newsletter The Listening Post, you will get alerts when archives are added, so you need never miss a thing!
ORLA.fm podcasts are mostly in English (EN) but others are in Polish (PL). Podcasts are categorised according to the kind of content they are as Episodes:
- Special Broadcasts – a variety of interviews with the stars including phone interviews. EN/PL
- Walker’s Law – a guide to the law in England & Wales. Hosted by a barrister of Polish descent . EN
- Community News – interviews from Polish venues and wherever Poles are active. EN/PL
These will be hosted on ORLA Now before moving to ORLA Classic after 12 weeks.
But some shows that have been discontinued but contained heaps of interesting interviews and scoops will automatically be added to ORLA Classic. These include:
- London Bridge – a weekly social affairs programme hosted by George Matlock since 2006 with co-hosts “Fine” Art Skupienski, Peter Walker and Kingsley Hamilton. EN
- Oginski Musical Dynasty – a series of eight shows, four in Polish and four in English documenting the fascinating true story of the man who reputedly wrote the Polish national anthem as well as Farewell to the Fatherland, Prince Michal Kleofas Oginski. A direct descendent of Oginski, Iwo Zaluski narrates the gripping story of Oginski as well as a 200-year succession of musical writers in this dynastical family. EN/PL
- Radio Plays – over the years ORLA.fm has become the only Polonia media to promote audio plays, working with theatre groups such as that run by Michal Karski on major productions designed specifically for radio. These have included subjects such as composer Frederik Chopin and military man Jan Sobieski. EN
- UK Polish – in 2006 to 2007 ORLA.fm worked with Capital FM owner Global Radio to produce weekly shows called UK Polish. We worked with publications like Goniec Polski and Polish Express in the process but were the only consistent radio host of these shows. We have located many of these podcast shows from our archives. PL